Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Well, the walk is over!!! Yippeeeeee. I had a great time and met a few new friends and had one of the toughest times I've ever had. Even with all my training, I ended up dehydrated on Friday and needed two liters of IV fluid. I was able to sleep in my own tent that night and started off the next day ready to go. By lunch time I was hurting again. My left knee was giving me fits, so I had Jeff bring me my old knee brace and headed off for camp again. By the time I got there, my left calf was killing me, so I headed for the Physical Therapy tent. They said I had pulled my calf muscle and they taped me up really good. I iced it until I went to bed, slept good until about 3am and then tossed and turned until it was time to get up. I hobbled around until I got warmed up and by 7am when it was time to go, I felt great! I hit the road and made the best time I've ever made. I hit the finish line at 12:30, finishing 182nd out of about 3000. I ended up with only 3 blisters this year. One is about the size of a quarter on the outside of my left heel and both of my second toes have a blister under the toenail - great huh? I'm going to the podiatrist tomorrow to see if there is anything I need to do for them.

Now, please don't think I'm complaining, because I'm not. I love doing these walks and I think it is for a great cause. I am convinced that if they (we) find a cure for one type of cancer, the cure for all types will come soon after. So this is how I can do my part and I will continue to do it as long as my little legs will carry me, and then I will probably go and be on crew!

I wish everyone a very Happy Thanksgiving and a great Holiday season to come!

4 comments:

Breeana said...

Way to go Carol. What a great cause you have involved yourself in! I'm so sorry to hear about all the pain you went through!

Alaina said...

Congrats Auntie Carol!! You are one tough cookie! Hope you all have a very Happy Thanksgiving! Tell Linnlee to post some pictures of the cute baby.

Donelle said...

Good job! I'm glad you were able to do so well with the troubles you encountered.

Analee said...

Well, you are truly a hero. I am, as always, grateful for your effort in this great cause. Thank you, thank you, thank you. And I am now committing publicly that I will be there with you next year. (I feel like I just announced my candidacy for president or something)