
Well, since yesterday was Father's Day, I would like to tell you a little about the father of my children. I first met Jeff 33 years ago. We were set up on a blind (sort of) date by my brother-in-law. I was 16 and Jeff was 19, getting ready to go on his mission. He was the coolest guy I had ever met and I just couldn't believe that he might like me. The first time he came to my house to pick me up with my sister and brother-in-law, I was so nervous that I could hardly stand it. We went to the movie (White Line Fever) and then out for pizza. It was such a great date! I was smitten right then and there, I only hoped that he felt the same. And as it turned out, he did. Who knew that love at first sight was for real???
We were inseparable for the two months before he left on his mission. He had already turned in his papers, and when he found out he was going to Idaho, he was surprised because he thought that everyone there were already members. When he came to my house after getting his missionary haircut, I cried. It was really going to happen - he was going to leave. (I wouldn't have wanted it any other way) The day came, all too soon, that it was time to go. I was with his family and we went to the airport. He was hugging and kissing everyone goodbye, everyone but me. But he did kiss Jordan and had him kiss me and said, "That is as close as we are going to get to a kiss for two years!" I was pretty upset the rest of the day. My friends from school had planned to take me out the coming up weekend to help me get over his leaving. We went to the drive in and had pizza, but I don't remember what we saw. I had great friends!
I was walking into my kitchen one evening when the phone rang. I picked it up and a voice on the other end just started talking to me like we had never been separated. I had to ask who it was and he was not too happy about that. I was just so shocked that he called me! We talked for a long time, he told me how cold it was already, but he was doing great. (It was the end of September) We wrote each other every week, I wrote sometimes more than once. He has a great big box full of letters and things I sent him and I have a small stack, about 3 inches tall, of the mostly post cards he sent me. I'm not complaining though, I know he had others to write and work to be done. I never knew that two years could go so slow and so fast at the same time. While he was gone, I managed to finish high school and get a job in Fort Worth.
The time was fast approaching for him to come home and I was getting more nervous by the day. I couldn't eat, couldn't sleep, couldn't do anything but worry that he might not like me as much as I liked him. I took the day off when he finally did get home, mostly to stay in my room and worry. His parents picked him up and they went for him to be released from his mission. He came to my house then. My mom was famous for having the doors locked and this time was no different. We had this glass storm door, so when he rang the doorbell and I went to the door, we could see each other, but I couldn't get the dumb door open!!! I don't remember if we hugged each other but I can remember that he was just as wonderful as when he left! We went to his sister's house for the evening because she had had twins while he was gone and he wanted to see them. As we were driving to her house, it was like that two years hadn't happened and it was just a few days since we had been together. We had a great time together. It took him four days to propose after he came home. We had been out for pizza (I think pizza plays a big part in our relationship!), and we were sitting in the car in front of his house and he asked me to marry him. I had to think about it for probably 1/2 second before I said yes. We were married three months later, on January 10, 1978.
These past 30 years have been so wonderful! Sometimes we both look at each other and say that we can't believe that it has been 30 years. We have done a lot of fun things, had a few rotten things happen, but overall, there is nothing we would change. We have four of the greatest kids, who have married four more great kids and we have the best grandkids on the planet. (Sorry if I offend anyone!) Jeff has worked from home for a long time now and when he goes out of town or has a client that he needs to work a lot with, we miss each other during the day! It really is great to be married to your best friend!!!
Anyway, I'm sorry if I seem to be bragging about him, but he really is my world and I love him immeasurably! Happy Father's Day Jeff!
4 comments:
It was really fun getting to know you and Jeff (and your Love story) a little better!
Wow, what memories this brough back. Yes, Jeff is a great guy but we got an equally great sister in the family when he married you. We love you Carol!
tag aunt carol! You're it! Look at my blog to see what I'm talking about. Love ya!
What a sweet love story. I really enjoyed getting to know you guys more while Mike and I were there. I love the fact that you guys are still so in love. Didn't you tell me that you made a new outfit for each of your dates with Jeff?
Post a Comment